KARATINA UNIVERSITY LECTURER, DR. ALFRED ABIBA RECEIVES NATIONAL RESEARCH (NRF) GRANT AWARD
Dr. Alfred Abiba of the Department of Biological and Physical Sciences in the School of Pure and Applied Sciences has received Ksh. 18,919,600 (July 2020) from National Research Fund (NRF), to undertake a research project entitled: Propagation of Ocimum kilimandscharicum, determination of efficacy against Anopheles gambiae ssand formulation of O. kilimandscharicum essential oils into jelly and bathing soap mosquito repellant.
Dr. Abiba is the Principal Investigator (PI), working with other research collaborators, namely, Dr. Catherine W. Muui (Kenyatta University, Dr. Namikoye E. Samita (Kenyatta University) and Mr. Shellemiah Ouma Otieno (Comet healthcare Ltd).
The expected outcomes of this research project will be:
- Isolation of chemicals with repellant properties from Ocimum kilimandscharicum.
- Formulation of Ocimum kilimandscharicum essential oils into jelly and bathing soap as mosquito repellant.
- Patenting of Ocimum essential oils into jelly and bathing soap as mosquito repellant.
- Large scale production of affordable repellant used to replace current expensive ones in the market.
- Training of at least 3PhD and MSc students
The University congratulates Dr. Abiba for this sterling achievement and encourage more staff members to take advantage of this period and write research proposals.